Patients are often dissatisfied with the yellowing or discoloration of their teeth. A common cosmetic dental concern, discolored teeth can be distracting from the aesthetics of your smile. Yellow or darkening teeth prematurely age the face and can make patients feel self-conscious, or unwilling to share their smile. Houston, TX cosmetic dentist Dr. Eddie Pruitt offers a range of cosmetic dental treatments for the whitening of discolored teeth. In office teeth whitening options are safe and offer superior results to over the counter whitening options. Dr. Pruitt is a highly trained cosmetic dentist with over 35 years of experience. He provides patients with beautiful and natural looking results for a whiter, brighter smile.
What Causes Yellow or Discolored Teeth?
There are several factors that can stain and discolor teeth. From injury to dietary habits, discolored teeth are a common cosmetic concern for adult patients. Dr. Pruitt will work with patients to determine the cause of tooth discoloration and choose a treatment option that will provide optimal results.
- Yellow Teeth: As we age, teeth commonly become yellow in appearance. Yellow teeth are caused by the natural erosion of tooth enamel. As the enamel breaks down from regular wear and use, the inner layer of dentin becomes exposed. Dentin, the layer of tooth beneath surface enamel, is naturally yellow in color. When enamel thins or wears away, the appearance of dentin creates the yellowish tint to the smile that so many people are dissatisfied with. Lifestyle factors such as smoking, or drinking red wine and coffee can also stain and discolor teeth.
- Brown or Dark Spots: Brown or dark spots on the teeth may be caused by trauma or certain medications. Trauma or injury to a tooth can leave a dark mark on the tooth’s surface. Certain medications are also known for staining teeth. If you are taking medications it is always a good idea to let your dentist know so that the appropriate treatment option can be recommended.
- White Spots: Adult patients can develop white spots on their teeth due to plaque build up on the surface. White spots are also caused by the over exposure to fluoride, often during the development of the teeth as a child.
Treatment Options for Discolored Teeth
Houston, TX cosmetic dentist Dr. Pruitt offers treatment options for whitening discolored teeth. Depending on the cause of discoloration, treatment options will vary. Whitening teeth can improve a patients self-confidence, giving them a boost they need to excel professionally and personally. Teeth whitening can take years off a patient’s appearance, leaving them feeling refreshed and beautiful. Teeth whitening treatments can be performed alone or as part of a comprehensive cosmetic treatment plan for a total smile makeover.
- In Office Teeth Whitening
- Take Home Teeth Whitening
- Porcelain Veneers
- Dental Bonding
- Dental Crown
Areas We Serve
Dr. Pruitt offers personalized cosmetic treatment plans to correct the appearance of the smile while stabilizing the health and function of the bite. Dr. Pruitt and our dental care team welcome new and returning patients in the Houston, TX area. We serve and surrounding communities. Dr. Pruitt is a graduate of the Dawson Academy and holds a Masters of General Dentistry. A highly skilled and trained dentist, Dr. Pruitt practices dentistry with compassion and warmth while providing natural looking and high-quality results. To schedule a cosmetic consultation, contact our Houston dentist office or schedule a consultation online.