The health of your gums can say a lot about your smile. Taking the necessary steps now to improve your gum health can be beneficial in the future. In this post, we will discuss steps patients can take to improve their gum health and promote a healthier smile.
General dentist Dr. Eddie Pruitt offers comprehensive, patient-focused dental care to patients for patients of all ages. Dr. Pruitt screens for gum disease during each visit to his Houston, TX dental office. If gum disease is present during your comprehensive exam, Dr. Pruitt can create a personalized treatment plan to restore health back to your smile
Tips To Improve Your Gum Health
Gum disease occurs when plaque buildup reaches the gum line which can lead to an infection of the gums. Once the gums are infected, patients may notice symptoms like swollen gums, red gums, halitosis, and bleeding gums. In advanced cases, gum disease may lead to tooth loss. In the earliest stage of gum disease called gingivitis, Dr. Pruitt may be able to reverse the effects of gum disease with antibacterial rinse or scaling or root planing. Once the bone and tissue have been compromised, a more advanced form of treatment may be necessary to restore your smile.
The good news is that gum disease is preventable with proper care and maintenance. Try to incorporate these key tips to improve the health of your gums.
- Floss your teeth at least once a day.
- Brush your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes.
- Use an ADA approved mouthwash to rinse your mouth.
- Quit smoking and tobacco use. Smokers have a higher risk of developing gum disease and other oral health issues.
- Schedule biannual preventive care visits. Dr. Pruitt can screen for gum disease during your dental checkup.
- Don’t forget to ask about dental cleanings. With the use special tools, your dental hygienist can remove plaque buildup from above and below the gumline. Regular dental cleanings are necessary to achieve optimal oral health.
Schedule A Consultation
If you need to schedule an appointment or have any questions regarding your gum health, contact our Houston, TX dental office. Dr. Pruitt can work with you to get you the treatment you need. Patients can call our Houston dentist office to schedule an appointment or schedule an appointment online.